2º de Bachillerato. CONDITIONALS
Posted septiembre 20, 2015on:
The Zero Conditional
We can make a zero conditional sentence with two present simple verbs (one in the ‘if clause’ and one in the ‘main clause’):
- If + present simple, …. present simple.
This conditional is used when the result will always happen. So, if water reaches 100 degrees, it always boils. It’s a fact. I’m talking in general, not about one particular situation. The result of the ‘if clause’ is always the main clause.
The ‘if’ in this conditional can usually be replaced by ‘when’ without changing the meaning.
For example: If water reaches 100 degrees, it boils. (It is always true, there can’t be a different result sometimes). If I eat peanuts, I am sick. (This is true only for me, maybe, not for everyone, but it’s still true that I’m sick every time I eat peanuts)
Here are some more examples:
If people eat too much, they get fat.
If you touch a fire, you get burned.
People die if they don’t eat.
You get water if you mix hydrogen and oxygen.
Snakes bite if they are scared
If babies are hungry, they cry
If I go out tonight, I’ll go to the cinema.”
“If I go to the cinema, I’ll watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.”
“If I watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I’ll eat lots of chocolate.
Then, “If I eat lots of chocolate, I’ll put on weight” etc. etc.
If I Could Live My Life Over Again…
If I could live my life again.
Next time, I would try to make more mistakes.
I would not try to be so perfect, I would relax more.
I would be sillier than I have been.
I would take fewer things seriously.
I would be less fastidious.
Accept more risks, I would take more trips,
Contemplate more evenings,
Climb more mountains, and swim more rivers…
I would go to more places where I have not been,
Eat more ice cream and fewer beans.
I would have more real problems and less imaginary ones.
I was one of those people who lived
sensibly and meticulously every minute of their life.
Of course I have had moments of happiness.
But if I could go back in time, I would try to
have good moments only,
and not waste precious time.
I was someone never went
anywhere without a thermometer, a
hot water bag, an umbrella
and a parachute. If I could live again,
I would travel more frivolously.
If I could live again, I would begin
to walk barefoot at the beginning of the spring
and I would continue to do so until the end of autumn.
I would ride more merry-go-rounds,
I would contemplate more evenings and I would play
with more children.
If I could have another life ahead.
But I am 85 years old you see, and I know that I am dying.
- If it rains this evening, ___________
- If I’d been born a boy/ girl, _____________________________
- If I hadn’t got up at all this morning, ________________________
- If I didn’t do my homework, _____________________________
- If I had been born 100 years ago, _________________________
- If I studied more, ______________________________________
- If I got into fights at school, ______________________________
- If I had x-ray vision, __________________________________
- If I weren´t here. ______________________________________
- If the economy gets worse, _______________________________
- If I were an ant, _______________________________________
- If I were the most beautiful person in the world, _______________
- If someone nice tells me that they like me, __________________
- If I were president of this country, __________________________
- If I’d started English when I was younger, ___________________
- If I could fly, __________________________________________
- If I had four arms, ______________________________________
- If I’d been a child prodigy, ________________________________
Conditionals discussion questions
- If you could change one thing about your body or personality, what would it be?
- How would your life have been different if you had been born a girl/ boy?
- If you could change three things about the world today, what would you change?
- If your house was on fire and you could only take one object, which would it be?
- How would your life have been different if your parents had given you a different name?
- If you could have any super power – for example, the ability to fly, or to be very strong, or to become invisible – which super power would you choose? Why? What would you do with this power?
- If you had a time machine and could travel to three times in history, which times would you want to visit, and why?
- If you had $50000 and you had to spend it within 24 hours, what would you do?
- If you could buy anything in the world (but just one thing), what would it be?
- If you could choose which three objects to take with you to a desert island, what would you take?
HOME WORK conditionals-in-context-part1