Posted octubre 21, 2015on:
When should we use the Passive?
- When we want to change the focus of the sentence:
- The Mona Lisa was painted by Leonardo Da Vinci. (We are more interested in the painting than the artist in this sentence)
- When who or what causes the action is unknown or unimportant or obvious or ‘people in general’:
- He was arrested (obvious agent, the police).
- My bike has been stolen (unknown agent).
- The road is being repaired (unimportant agent).
- The form can be obtained from the post office (people in general).
- In factual or scientific writing:
- The chemical is placed in a test tube and the data entered into the computer